Symbol Pocket PC - Basic Settings
When you first turn on the Symbol Pocket PC, or perform a hard reset,
these are the settings I use.
| General Settings
| Wireless Network
There is no option, you must do this
- Run through the tutorial on how to use the stylus
- Tap targets on the screen to calibrate the stylus
This device is used primarily as a barcode reader -
not as someone's personal toy.
These settings reflect this usage.
Start / Settings / Personal
- Owner Information
- This is configured so that the reader is always identified
- Menus / New Menu
- Turn off everything except Note
(and I assume that that will never be used either.
- Today / Items
- Uncheck Calendar, Inbox, Tasks (these have no purpose on a barcode reader)
- In Transcriber mode, turn off Space after word (Add space after)
Start / Settings / System
- Battery Power
- Check Turn off backlight if device is not used for *1 min*
- Check Turn on backlight when a button is pressed or the screen is tapped
- Set the Date and Time
there is a setting to control the computer speed - make the computer slower so the battery will last longer
Configuring the Wireless Network
For this to work, you need to be in range of a working,
broadcasting wireless network.
(For security purposes, broadcasting should be turned off.)
From the main screen (ie, close everything),
click the icon in the lower right hand corner.
To use Pocket IE to browse "local" servers, nothing else has to be configured.
- Click Find WANS
- Click the WAN and select Connect
- On the Encryption tab,
select 128-bit Shared key
- Enter the key - Because this value is in hex, the case of the letters does not matter
Author: Robert Clemenzi -