|See Mars images in 3D
||There are 2 rovers on Mars ... and I've written a viewer so that YOU can see the
surface of Mars in stereo 3D
|Mineral Clubs Near Washington DC
This is a list of most of the local mineral and lapidary clubs
in the Washington DC area, including Maryland and Virginia,
Calendar of Events
listing monthly meeting topics and special events,
few useful links.
||A classic wooden slide puzzle (with Delphi source)
||I have listened to the Global Warming debate for some time. In my opinion, the press (including TV)
presents a lot of propaganda and fear, but not many facts. I hope you find these notes
to be interesting.
New pages (placing these here helps google find them faster ... I hope)
- Did it sink because of storms or Global Warming? - added 01-17-07
- A Discussion of Heat
- This explains that heat and temperature are different and explains one
reason why an increase in CO2 won't effect the temperature - added 03-12-07
- Model Issues
- Problems with the IPCC Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis models - added 03-28-07
is hot because it has more atmosphere than Earth - added 04-09-07
- How to Reduce Emissions
discusses ways to reduce the amount of CO2 you produce.
It also exposes some
Complete and Utter Nonsense
about Hybrids. - added 04-30-07
- This explains why
I created my Global Warming pages - added 04-30-07
- Atmospheric Analysis
examines the atmosphere as a horizontal column at sea level.
It explains why comparisons with Venus are nonsense and discusses spectra
- added 06-26-07
- In a 2007 paper,
James Hansen admits that since the ice core
data implies that CO2 is actually not a greenhouse gas,
he needs to fudge the data to fit his theory.
- added 07-14-07
- GISS GCM Model-E -
Modifications to run on Windows XP
Basic Source Code Modifications
- added 11-17-08
- Wikipedia -
Many people get their information on Global Warming from Wikipedia.
These pages contain my thoughts on the quality of that information.
- added 04-06-09
- EPA Comments
- In 2009, the EPA held public hearings and requested comments related to a Supreme Court decision related to
Global Warming - these are the comments I provided - added 06-10-09
These pages are also related
|Public hearing comments
||This paper covers what I said at the public hearing - added 06-10-09
|The Greenhouse Effect
||This is my theory on how the Greenhouse Effect actually works.
It explains that Greenhouse gases (except for ozone) actually cool the atmosphere.
The paper provides evidence that all the longwave IR radiation
released to space comes from the Mesopause, the Tropopause, Cloud tops, and the surface.
It also explains that little or no heat is released from the rest of the atmosphere because it is IR opaque at
the frequencies emitted by Greenhouse gases. - added 05-29-09
|Trenberth, et al.
||This paper discusses various problems with the Global Mean Energy Budget developed by Kiehl and Trenberth (1997)
and its associated paper. - added 06-10-09
||Some of my notes on comments other people made - added 07-28-09
|New web site
||On 07-25-09, the EPA replaced the website used to post public comments with ...
well, if I liked it I wouldn't say so many bad things.
Of course, it would help if the site could stay up for more than 5 minutes. - added 07-28-09
||On December 7, 2009, the EPA signed the Endangerment Finding.
In addition, they provided written responses to many of the over 10,000 comments
that had been submitted.
This page discusses 4 responses to some of my comments.
- added 02-05-10
- This Simplified Model
is frequently used explain how an atmosphere can cause the surface temperature to increase.
It is a terrible model to show beginners, but it does prove, without a doubt,
that the temperature of Venus is not caused by the Greenhouse Effect.
- added 01-11-10
- Icecore Data
- I have written a program to help plot ice core data. This covers some of what I have learned. - added 04-08-10
||The δ18O and borehole temperatures do not agree - added 04-08-10
||Controversial data - borehole temperatures and CO2 - added 04-08-10
||More proof that δ18O, deuterium concentration, and temperature
are not correlated.
||How are the temperatures of past climates determined?
This explains why you should not trust proxies.
||The global existence of the mid-Holocene warm episode,
the Medieval Warm Period (MWP), and the Little Ice Age (LIA)
is easily proved with proxies from other sources.
- NOAA produced an Ocean Acidification Video explaining how
CO2 will destroy the oceans - this is
my analysis of that video. - added 02-17-15
UCAR Simple Climate Model
predicts how much the temperature will increase for an increase in CO2 - however, their data actually demonstrates that the model is wrong. - added 10-18-16
Warming Calculator Analysis
explains how to use my
to analyze Dr. Hansen's claim
that the planet has a permanent energy imbalance. - added 09-02-17
UCAR CO2 Diagrams
explains the issues I have with the CO2 Diagrams associated
with the UCAR Simple Climate Model.
Specifically, I included water vapor and a comparison of Earth's CO2 with that on Venus. - added 09-04-17
|Age of the Universe
||The current theory claims that the universe expanded at
several million times the speed of light ... but now nothing
can go that fast
||I was taught that the redshift of the galaxies was due to the Doppler effect.
The latest theory says that it is actually
because the expanding universe stretches the light traveling through it.
||A 2 minute interstate call from a pay phone ...
credit card - $23, collect - $44.
|Broadway Photo Scam
||We bought a video camera - Broadway Photo sent a cheaper battery than what we bought (actually, a different part number),
a no-name memory card, "charged" us $300 for filters we said we did not want,
and added $150 in "extra" charges - I claim that there was over $700 in fraud
||There are a number of facts (and definitions) that are difficult to understand.
In particular, this site presents that data using interactive multimedia.
There should be nothing controversial about these. - added 10-16-08
New pages (placing these here helps google find them faster ... I hope)
- Lapse Rate - added 10-16-08
- Index to a section about atmospheric temperatures
- Overview - added 10-16-08
- An explanation of the Lapse Rate and an introduction to the charts
- Standard Atmosphere - added 10-16-08
- A discussion of the 1964 and 1976 Standard Atmospheres
- Interactive Charts -
Summer - added 10-16-08
Tucson added 10-19-08
Mesosphere added 09-08-09
- Lapse Rate Animation program
(pc's only) - added 03-07-09
I have written a Windows program that allows you to look at a full year (or more)
of temperature profiles as an animation.
- Temperature Conversions - added 04-17-09, code fixed 08-10-10
Automatically convert temperature from °C to °F to °K
and solve Stefan's equation for finding blackbody temperature at equilibrium.
- Frequency Conversion - added 09-12-09, code fixed 08-10-10
frequency to wavelength to wavenumber to energy
- HITRAN Spectra - added 09-19-09, major update 09-06-10
An MS Windows Application
plots water vapor and CO2 spectra and optical thickness.
This allows you to see which bands are saturated and which are not.
As of 09-06-10, version 126.96.36.199 is now available.
- Blackbody Equations - added 12-01-09
- Some basic information on the Blackbody equations and how to convert between them
- IceCores - added 02-08-10
- Some basic information on using my program that
plots Vostok ice core data.
- Water Vapor - added 03-06-13
- These programs implement 30 different saturation water vapor algorithms (models) to help understand the
relationships between Relative Humidity, Dew Point, Temperature, Pressure, and the Water Vapor Mixing Ratio.
- GHCN Temperature Plotter - added 06-10-15
plots high quality
GHCN (Global Historical Climatology Network)
temperature data from more than 5,000 stations.
- Radiation Models - added 03-02-16
- a simple model of an airless rock in space - added 03-02-16
- This calculator simulates cooling to space (at 0K) by radiation alone - added 09-18-16
- Insolation Calculator
- This calculator computes the amount of Sun light perpendicular (normal) to the surface of the Earth - added 10-18-16
- Warming Calculator
- Estimate the change in temperature based on constant heating
(energy imbalance) - added 09-02-17
- MODTRAN - various pages related to this radiation model - added 09-18-17
- Climate Sensitivity
- How to estimate the change in surface temperature with a doubling of CO2
- about 0.7°C/doubling - added 09-18-17
||Adobe suggests that Acrobat can be used to develop interactive forms ... Please read these first
- Overview - added 04-20-09
don't believe it
- Getting Started - added 04-20-09
- This page presents a few hints that will make your job easier
||64-bit Vista is a disaster. Use at your own risk.
Visual Basic 5 is not compatible ... I NEVER got it to work.
How to display Delphi 5 programs under Vista
- includes a Delphi component, help files, and examples.